Sunday, August 28, 2005

Piggy's Dead

Denis 'Piggy' D'Amour has passed away.

Nobody reading this will probably know who the hell he was, but that's not the point of this post.


But, I'll tell you who he was anyway. Piggy was a guitar player. He played guitar in Voivod. A Canadian metal band, around for years. Though never making it "big" he and his band have kept making albums and making a living doing what they loved. In recent years Voivod added to it's ranks Jason Newsted, formerly of Metallica. Voivod, and Piggy, have been highly influential in the metal world.

Now, this post truly isn't about his death, or his life or the music he made. This post is about peoples reactions to the death of famous or influential people.

While reading the posts about his death on Blabbermouth it struck me just how vile, idiotic and just less than human some people are.

While never a fan of Voivod, I could respect where they were coming from. And could respect their desire to be themselves, and not a clone of whatever was out on the scene at the time.

But, upon reading about his death, it became not what my opinion of Voivods music was. It became about sadness at a talented individual passing.

Why does it matter now what anyone's opinions of his music are? If you can't see that a human being has passed and that that person has family, friends and fans who are mourning his passing, then screw you. Keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.

Just because you want to shock people and to prove how "metal" you are doesn't matter to me. You are an idiot.

People just don't think. What would they do if someone made disparaging comments about a family member of theirs upon their passing? They'd probably be hurt and want to beat some ass. So, have some fucking compassion morons.

The same thing happened last week when the singer from Parallax died. Stupid comments about how much his band sucked. Or whatever.

Same thing when Dimebag died. People are idiots.

Yeah, I've got a negative attitude. Sometimes people really piss me off.

Gotta Go.

Kenny

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

Totally agree, Kenny...I'm sorry about Piggy...

The more friends I have who are aspiring rock stars...the more I totally identify with this...not just as an abstraction, which I've always had, I think...but the more you know musicians...the more you're like, "Hey asshole..that guy/gal was a human being...who gives a shit how well they played a guitar"...

I have a very close friend, Kenny, who is the lead singer for this local band called MaximumSuck...he's one of my best friends in the world, really...and a really great guy...and they're not that good, really...they know that...but they have a lot fun...and they've improved a lot...and we all love them and support them...and they keep getting better:):)...

And if Jas died and someone said bullshit like that...I'd want to punch someone in the fuckin' face...

So I don't think that's negative, Kenny...I just think it's compassion...and a real and human and decent reaction...

I wouldn't actually punch someone in the face, obviously...

But I'd feel like it in the moment...and there's nothing wrong with that, at all, I don't think:)...

I'll have to check out some Voivod when I get a chance:):)...

But in the meantime...I totally agree...people are more than just what they do...and some of my friends suck at some of the things they love most (theater, music, academia, whatever...even politics)...

And they're lives are bigger than their accomplishments...or their performances...or their creative expressions...or whatever...and a lot of people have a hard time understanding that, I'm afraid...

And it makes me sad...

I met Lee Atwater when I was a sophomore in college...

He was Ronald Reagan's chief political consultant when he was President and running for office...

And Lee was a son-of-a-bitch as a political consultant, as you can imagine...

And...right before he died...he said he was sorry for all the lives he destroyed and all the friendships he destroyed along the way to winning elections...

And Martin Gerry...a Republican researcher associated with my grad program...talked about how easy it is to give a bed-side mea culpa...and was really cynical about the whole thing...

And I thought...look...I think Lee was a son-of-a-bitch as a consultant, too...as almost all political consultants are...liberal, conservative, whatever...

But he's also a human being...who figured out he was wrong about how he treated people way too late in the game (in a way that many political consultants and activists and politicians still playing the game have still not figured out, so foolishly focussed on winning elections are they)...

And he's a human being...

And now he's gone...

I don't know...I had a similar reaction to Martin's comments, at that time, too, Kenny, that you're having around Piggy...

People may not be the best at their work...or they may not be the best people in the world...

But they're still human beings...and that matters to me...a lot...

Hope second shift's going ok for you, Kenny:):):)...

Talk with you soon:):):)...

Ben

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home