Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dropkick Murphys

Dropkick Murphys, a great punk band from Boston, have a song on their newest album that I want to talk about. I've seen 'em a couple of times when they've come through town, always put on a great show. They wear their Boston/Irish roots on their sleeves. Good working mans band.


Anyway, they've got a great song on their newest album called "Last Letter Home". The song when you listen is standard Boston hardcore/Dropkick Murphys punk. Catchy chant along chorus all you'd expect from them. What really gets me is how they set up the verses. The verses are like a series of letters from a soldier and his family. Here are the lyrics:

"Last Letter Home"

Hello there my dearest love
Today I write to you about our sons
The boys start school today
They're the spitting image of you in every way

Hey son it's Dad
I hope this letter finds you well out of harm's way
We saw the news today it frightened you Mom
Now all she does is pray

If I lead will you follow?
Will you follow if I lead?

Hey Melissa it's me don't be afraid
I'm in good hands I'm gonna be home soon
It's time to watch the children grow up
I wanna be more than a voice on the phone

Thanks Ma I got your package today
I love "The Fields Of Athenry"
I swear I want 'em to play that song on the pipes
At My funeral when I die

If I lead will you follow?
Will you follow if I lead?

I stand alone in the distance
And the foreground slowly moves

If I lead will you follow?
Will you follow if I lead?

"We regret to inform you that on January 28th Sgt. Andrew
Farrar died while serving his country in the Al-Anbar province
of Iraq. Words cannot convey our sorrow."

If I lead will you follow?
Will you follow if I lead?

When there's nothing on the horizon
You've got nothin left to prove

If I lead will you follow?



Great song. Thank you Dropkick Murphys for writing a song that has touched me the way this one has. Just amazing.

I'll leave it at that. If you can, find this song. I'll let you take away from it what you will.

Gotta Go

Kenny

And, by the way, the soldier mentioned in the last verse, was a real soldier. And he did die in Iraq. Just one of many sad sad stories from this war.



3 Comments:

Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

By the way, Kenny...

David was right:)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise

...thought you might find this interesting:):)...and I don't have your email address, I don't think:):)...

Oh...and I still can't get into EZBoard, at all...not banned, it doesn't seem...just can't get through to a page with a log-in...

See you tonight, bud:):)...

Ben

7:26 AM  
Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

Dang, Kenny...I could have sworn I successfully posted a response about the Dropkick Murphys:):):)...I just downloaded the song, Kenny:):)...it sounds awesome:):)...also Finnegan's Wake...and Amazing Grace:):)...really nice sound:):)...reminds me of the serious ska period in the late 90's:):):)...

Also...

As it turns out:):)...I guess I was right, too:):):)...

The 1992 October Surprise was the indictment of Caspar Weinberger on Iran-Contra charges (that were later overturned):):)...

I guess Wikipedia refers to an October Surprise as any late event calculated to impact an election:):):)...

Thought that was pretty interesting:):):)...

See you tonight, Kenny:):):)...

Ben

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

I forgot:):):)...

1992 Bush vs. Clinton
"Just four days before the vote that year, Reagan defense secretary Caspar Weinberger was indicted on Iran-Contra conspiracy charges (later overturned). It stopped a late Bush surge in the polls and Republicans howled at the timing." [3]

Ben (I wanted to up your visit count:):):)...

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home