Monday, July 25, 2005

To drink or not to drink.... Not really a question.

I'm just wondering. Why do people just assume that people like to drink? And why do they appear shocked when you tell them that you don't? I just don't get it.

What drives my pondering was a short discussion I had at work last night with a guy on my crew. Here's how it went (the time was about an hour before quitting time, so approximately 6:30 am):

Him: Boy oh boy, that cold beer is going to taste good.
Me: (shake head) "nope"
Him: What? You don't drink?
Me: Nope.
Him: Then you must smoke up? Do a little weed?
Me: Nope. Don't drink or smoke. Got no problem with anyone that does. I just choose not to.
Him: You've never drank? Why not?
Me: I drank for a very short time when I was like 21. But none since. I just can't stand the taste of it.
Him: Really???? Hmmm? (while giving me this odd distrusting look)

Now, as I said, I've got no problem with people who smoke up or drink. That's their choice. Not the wisest choice, but theirs to make.

I just don't understand why people can't understand why I made my choice. Alcohol tastes like shit to me. And, truthfully folks, it's a poison. The only thing keeping some people alive are their overtaxed stomachs and liver. And, the money that some people spend on their habits, I can use for something a bit more constructive.

This isn't the first time that I've had this discussion with people. It's just the first time that I've had a forum (this blog) in which to bitch about it after the fact.

Gotta Go

Kenny

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

Totally respect the no-drinking, no-drugs stance, Kenny:):)...too many people use drinking and drugs and all kinds of things (sex, money, power, etc.) as a substitute for dealing with the bullshit that life has to offer all of us, I think:):)...and for a music lover, especially...you've got to see so many folks who lose everything running away from life in just this way...I have a whole crew of very close friends, Kenny, who do this all too regularly, unfortunately...it's very sad to watch it happen...

I drink very moderately...and have smoked marijuana in the past very occassionally...but I have learned how people can get lost in it...and how difficult it makes it on friendships when they do, unfortunately...

Most people seem so devoid of serious purpose in their lives, to me, much of the time...that I can hardly understand why they would settle for substitutes for authentic relationships and experiences in life...I'm struck by it often, really...don't understand, really, why people would spend so much time trying to avoid the stuff -- good AND bad -- that makes worth living, in the first place:):)...

I don't think I'd be able to do it, nevertheless be willing to, at this point in my life:):):)...something I'm very greatful for:):):)...

Ben

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home