Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Nonconventional Patriotic Music

I've got a song in my head. It happens all the time. I listen to a song and then that song plays over and over in my head, sometimes for days. It can be annoying. But this time, it's different. This song is making me feel patriotic. Shush. I hear what you're saying, "the flaming liberal patriotic, yeah whatever." But, it's true.

What's that you're asking? What is this song of blind patriotism that's hit him so hard? Made him want to wrap himself in the flag while shooting off roman candles in each hand? Well, I'll tell you. That song is Murder The Government by NOFX

Settle down people. I know, this isn't your typical "America the beautiful, everything else sucks" sort of patriotic anthem. But, it is, all the same a patriotic song. I see you still have your doubts. Well, let me write the lyrics then I'll explain. Hope I don't get sued.


I wanna see the constitution burn
Wanna Watch the White House overturn
Wanna witness some blue blood bleed fucking red

I wanna tar and lynch the KKK
I wanna pull and shoot the NRA

Murder the government, Murder the government
Murder the government, And then do it again yeah
Murder the government, Murder the government
Murder the government, and then
Murder the government


Awesome. Are they Imagine by John Lennon? No. But they serve the purpose set out for them.

I realize you probably can't see any sign of patriotism in these lyrics. I say you aren't looking deep enough. The patriotism lies in the fact that they had the freedom to write these lyrics. They used their freedom of expression to raise a voice of dissent. Their is no more patriotic thing in my opinion.

So, on this Independence Day, I'll be listening to this and other "patriotic" songs and basking in the freedoms that living in America gives me.

Links to other "patriotic" songs:

Amerika The Brutal - Six Feet Under
Now You've Got Something To Die For - Lamb Of God
Idiots Are Taking Over - NOFX
The Mob Goes Wild - Clutch
Foul Taste Of Freedom - Pro Pain
American Dreams - Pro Pain

And many, many more.

Gotta Go

Kenny

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

Right on, Kenny:):):)...that's why I love this fuckin' country:):):)...

I'll have to check out these songs:):)...

Ben

8:50 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

Hun, the day you light a firework, is the day the entire WORLD turns over, not just the government here.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Kenny said...

So true. But there lies my point.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home