Sunday, June 26, 2005

Music and violence

Alright, I'm bummed.

I love music. All types really. Well, not all, new country and what passes for r&b/pop on the radios these days aren't my thing. But, anything written and performed, by a band or performer, solely because they love music, is OK with me. If you become a musician only to become rich, stay away from me, it shows through in the music you perform.

Anyway, why am I bummed?

One of my favorite bands had violence flare up at their show the other night. Corrosion Of Conformity were playing a show in Florida when some moron in the crowd decided that he'd start stabbing people. How fucking lame is that? I don't care what anyone thinks of metal music, it's not the music or band that caused this lame fuck to do what he did. The blame lies solely with HIM. I don't care how much he may have drank that night. Or how much grass he smoked. Or even what his daddy may have done to him as a child. When you pull out a knife and stab four people, killing one, YOU are to blame. NO ONE else.

Now, the media, I'm sure, is going to blow this up, laying blame where it doesn't belong. Whether it's the bands, the lyrics, the imagery or the culture that you want to blame, the truth of the matter is that's not where the blame lies. Millions of people have gone to metal shows through the years, very little violence has happened at these shows. Metal music and shows are a release. You listen to music, any type, for enjoyment. You go to shows to see your favorite bands, have a good time and get a bit of aggresion out in the pit. It's cathartic. You scream, you yell the words, you bounce off the other people in the pit you have FUN. That's it. It's all about fun.

When someone like this idiot, or the idiot who shot Dimebag Darrell last December, do what they do, it only reinforces the negative opinion of Metal and it's fans by people who just don't get it. Remember, 99.99999999999% of all people who go to metal shows leave those shows with smiles on their faces and ALIVE. But, unfortunately, it only takes one incident such as this to screw things up for everyone. Hopefully bands don't change how they do things because of these incidents. And, also hopefully, I can continue to go to shows without a police prescence in the crowd.


I'm done. Get in the pit, I'll see ya there. But most of all, have FUN while you're there.

Gotta Go

Kenny

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Sutherland said...

TOTALLY AGREE, Kenny:):):)...that story DID make me a little nervous about being in the pit, I have to admit:):):)...I've been there probably at as many shows that have had a pit:):):)...and had a GREAT TIME:):):):):):)...

But that story does make you think twice, doesn't it?:):):)...

I'll probably still go to the pit:):):)...

Talk with you later:):)...

Ben

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home